The Russian Children’s Welfare Society is a public charity exempt from income, gift, and estate taxes under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Its federal tax identification number is 13–5562332. We are able to channel 100% of our donations to help sick and needy children with overhead being met in its entirety through internal sources.
Recently, the Russian Children’s Welfare Society has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator. This is the highest possible rating by Charity Navigator. That means we have taken steps to be accountable, transparent and financially healthy.
RCWS has put in place a thorough system of checks and balances to make sure that grants are used for their intended purpose:
- Organizations must provide a complete application detailing the project for which they are seeking support as well as a budget. Among the requested supporting documents for organizations is the Certificate of Registration.
- Once the request is approved by the Program Planning Committee, RCWS issues an official agreement stating the total amount of the grant in Russian roubles and how it is to be spent
- Russian banks will not authorize a release of funds without such an agreement and require invoices from grantee organizations that match items and services designated in the agreement
- The Director of our Moscow office regularly visits grantee organizations to check up on the Society's projects
- RCWS representatives in Russia, heads of Moscow and New York offices, as well as RCWS Board members periodically visit the aid recipients
- Organizations are required to submit reports detailing expenditures and overall achievements, including photos and videos of the implemented projects, sponsored by RCWS